A visitor visa is an immigration document that allows foreign nationals to travel and enter Canada. In the past, people often asked how to apply for a visitor visa, and this article will show you how. However, you need to understand how and what a visa is.
A visitor visa is also known as a temporary resident visa (TRV). It is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office and entered into your passport to prove that you meet the requirements to enter Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, student or worker). Anyone wishing to enter Canada who is neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident will need a visitor visa. However, Canadian citizens who are permanent residents do not need to apply for a visa. They must enter with their international passport, so a visitor visa is not required.
Types of Visitor Visas
There are two types of visitor visas, namely.
- Single entry visa
- Multiple entry visa
Single entry visa
This type of visa allows foreign nationals to enter Canada once. The holders are allowed to fly to the country only once. Therefore, the single entry visa expires after it has been used once.
Multiple Entry Visa
With this type of visa, the holder can enter and exit the country as many times as they wish as long as the visa is valid. In addition, the holder can travel for six months at a time as long as the visa is valid. In addition, the visa is valid for up to 10 years. This has the advantage that if you leave school/work temporarily, you can come back without having to apply for a new visa.
However, you cannot choose which job you apply for. In other words, applicants are automatically selected for the multiple entry visa. However, you can also get a single entry visa if the circumstances require it.
How to apply
You can apply for a visitor visa online or in paper form. If you are traveling as a family, each family member, including dependent children, must complete a separate application. However, you can also submit all applications together. Depending on your country of citizenship, applicants may be required to include bio-metric information in their application.
Applications will be prioritized by individuals who are eligible to travel based on applicable travel restrictions.
Why you should apply online
Applying online offers applicants the following advantages;
- Online applications are processed faster than paper applications in most cases;
- If you apply on paper, you may submit incomplete applications. However, when you apply online, you can be sure that you have all the required documents. This will help you avoid unnecessary delays;
- There are no courier fees;
- If you are asked for another document, you can simply submit it;
- You do not have to present your passport until we ask you to do so;
- The application status will be sent directly to your online account.
Documents required for a visitor visa
- Proof of your ties to your home country;
- Proof of financial resources for your visit to Canada;
- An identification document such as a passport or residence permit;
- A letter of invitation from the person inviting you to come to Canada;
- Proof that you will only be in Canada temporarily.
Applicants must apply for the TRV before leaving their country. Applicants cannot obtain a TRV upon arrival in Canada.